Kent House Knightsbridge History
The first Kent House was built in 1790 and bears the name of Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, son of George III. With no legitimate heir to the throne, the Duke had to marry for reasons of state, and his daughter became Queen Victoria. A succession of distinguished statesmen and authors occupied Kent House until it was demolished in 1870.
Lady Louisa Ashburton was the first mistress of the second Kent House – the building that stands to this day. Later, Lady Noble, granddaughter of the pioneering railway engineer, Isambard Kingdom Brunel, transformed the first floor drawing rooms into a remarkable Salon. Lady Noble left Kent House in 1940 when, like so many other London landmarks, the needs of war transcended the need for luxury living. Gradually, the house fell into a state of disrepair and it was not until the 1960s that the third renaissance began.
In recent years Kent House has undergone a remarkable restoration plan, capturing the spirit and essence of the original design and recreating the classical elegance for which the building had always been justifiably renowned. Kent House Knightsbridge, as it is known, is now considered among the best of venues for hire in London. Today, the blank canvas nature of the venue lends itself to events such as Summer Parties, Corporate Dinners, Weddings, Christmas Parties, Fashion Shows, Product Launches, Conferences, Press Days, Photographic & Film Shoots, Cultural Events and much more.